I think I Screwed Up

Force them Rigs to accept True Voodoo!
Buckskinner33
Audio Head

I think I screwed up

Post by Buckskinner33 »

I did the mod on the TS-850 for all band transmit.
When I was on AM 10m with another ham he said it sounded like I was off freq.

The mod was pulled off the yahoo kenwood group from k0zl

any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Buckskinner33
Audio Head

TS-850 MOD

Post by Buckskinner33 »

Here is the post from that site:

TS-850S All Band Transmit MOD

Kenwood markets this radio worldwide, and has made provisions to allow the radio to transmit between 1.625 MHz and 29.999 MHz.
I am providing this modification for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY! DO NOT TRANSMIT OUT OF BAND, THIS WILL JEAPORDIZE YOUR LICENSE, AND HAVE THE FCC, AND/OR INTERNATIONÁL AUTHORITIES KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR!!!

The All-band transmit modification requires the removal and re- location of a diode on the digital board which is located behind the front panel. The US version of the radio has diode D11 installed, and diode D9 removed. D11 must be removed, and installed in the D9 position.

This modification IS NOT for the faint of heart, as it entails removing the front panel, and the digital board. Note that the digital board has solder holes that are through-soldered; that is, there are circuit traces on both sides of the board, so make sure that ALL solder is removed from the holes. This modification will also allow the antenna tuner to tune anywhere the receiver is tuned. This modification should ONLY be performed by those familiar with soldering and de-soldering techniques, and requires patience, and dexterity.

Thanks to Bill K0ZL .

Ok, as stated in the above post, Did I pick a winner or what?

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Off Freq??

Post by Voodoo Guru »

We sent ya an Email JD for some tests to do.
That is the Correct Mod. We've done a million of 'em.
Chances are you didn't do anything wrong.
Either you were "Off Freq." to begin with, or the other guy was.
Being "On Frequency" is a relative thing anyway.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

Yeah, being off frequency can be relative. But playing the "Audio Game" being off frequency, even by a single cycle, is noticable [to the acute listener]. And is the only thing more irriating other than someone complaining that you're too bassy.... :roll: :lol:

Voodoo Guru
VooDoo Site Admin

Post by Voodoo Guru »

!KANT wrote:Yeah, being off frequency can be relative. But playing the "Audio Game" being off frequency, even by a single cycle, is noticable
Exactomundo....
Both statements are absolutely true.
This is a pet peeve of ours.
We can hear if You are 1 cps off. Especially if you are running audio gear.
When we said "Being On Frequency" is a relative thing anyway", we meant that way too many people are "Hung Up" with that damn Digital Display.
They will come into an existing QSO and dial ther VFO to where the Digital Display shows there all on "0's" instead of "LISTNING" to the other guys audio, and tuning to their Frequency. Well of course they will be "OFF Frequency" to whomever they key up and talk to. When confronted about it, their response is "Well I'm "ON Frequency", my Digital Display says I am...Your the one thats "OFF"." And this is the StupidAss that came to YOUR QSO!!
Damn that pisses Me off. Come on people....Use your BRAIN!
Use your Ears, Its not that damn hard.
On some frequencies we Yak on, there will be 5 different stations talking on 5 different Frequencies. They won't even try to tune in on each other until someone starts Bitchin (Usually Us).
We really are starting to Believe that these people just can't hear it. They can't hear that Low Frequency Revbrato that tells ya yer not on the mark.
Last edited by Voodoo Guru on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voodoo Guru
From Deep in the IDD of the Sub-Harmonix Realm

!KANT
Voodoo Audio Crew Moderator

Post by !KANT »

wz5q wrote:I really am starting to Believe that these people just can't hear it. They can't hear that Low Frequency Revbrato that tells ya yer not on the mark.

This has become so true for countless operators on the air [narrow or wide--more the previous]. This is one of the great aspects of learning about 'Audio. I used to always believe I was on frequency until someone corrected me [like 5 years ago]....and took months for me to hear it myself, believe it and get on track. While some people still discredit 'Audio, it definitely has it's place. I stop acknowledging stations about their off frequency stations [for my own sanity] and use RIT and/or XIT to eliminate the, "you got all them there audio processors it's screwing your dang radio up OM..." :roll:

Although many stations have the more modern radios, it can never be them. And the older radios are [sometimes] worse. Just this evening I listened to a QSO on 40 meters, and of the four stations on...only ONE was on frequency--which is my freq :D The worst one was 21cps<---[there I go using that term :lol: ] :shock: And lemme not go into the fact that he was "wide"/hashing 6kcps with his 940 [with processor cranked to no end]....but that's another thread. :wink: